1. To develop my ideas for this project I came up with fifteen ideas and narrowed it down to ten. Then I elaborated on the ten ideas and picked two. I chose daisy and leaves as my top two and printed out references for both. Then I drew thumbnails and final sketches. I ended up choosing leaves because I thought I could use a lot of value and detail up close.
2. I demonstrated emphasis by contrasting vibrant colors in the leaf with the black paper in the background.
3. The medium I used was colored pencil. I chose this over chalk or oil pastel because I could easily add more small details with the colored pencils. This included the veins of the leaf. It enhances the realistic aspect of the leaf and the color change by making it smoother.
4. I took a risk using colored pencil because it can be hard to layer the colors. I also took a risk using black paper because it is harder to contrast colors on it and make them stand out.
5. Of the five characteristics of great art I included technique and concept. I used layering and highlighting with the colored pencils and the concept of up close and personal.